One of the most popular gym accessories is lifting straps. You have definitely been working out at your gym and you see someone with something around their wrist when they are deadlifting. You ask yourself, “what are they?”
Don’t worry, you’re not the only one! Lucky for you, we know everything about them because we have our very own collection of Lifting Straps. They are designed to help you lift heavier and to improve your grip strength. So, keep on reading to learn what they're used for and how to properly use them, so you can decide whether you're going to add your own pair of lifting straps to your gym bag or not!
What are Lifting Straps?
Not only are lifting straps an excellent tool, but they're also one of the simplest and most affordable pieces of gym equipment. They're made from a stretchy nylon and cotton blend, that provides the ability to lift weights that would normally be outside of the range of your current grip strength. If you've been avoiding lifting straps thinking they look too complicated to use or are unsure if they'll be worth it, don't worry! A quality pair is a great tool to have in your gym bag.
How do you use Lifting Straps?
Before we dig into the benefits of lifting straps and the best pairs for you, let's talk about how to use them. (If you're a lifting strap pro, feel free to skip ahead!)
- Place one end through the pre-made loop of the strap
- Once you place the tail-end inside the loop, pull so you can create a loop for your wrist
- Place your wrist through the loop and pull till it is comfortable
- Now wrap the tail end around the bar (up to two revolutions) and grip where the wrap is and hold firm
- Repeat these steps for your other hand
Simple enough, right? You can do this before all of your lifts. Even if they're just there as extra support during heavy days in the gym or other athletic endeavors with lots of pulling, they can really help!
What are the benefits of Lifting Straps?
Lifting straps can be beneficial for many reasons. They can help:
- Improve grip strength when deadlifting.
- Improve grip strength when doing any pulling exercise
- An increase in your grip strength will allow you to move more weight, which allows you to get stronger and bigger
When to use Lifting Straps
Lifting straps are a good idea when you're first starting out and when you become a more advanced lifter. These are used in all competitions, as they help reduce lifting failure due to pore grip strength.
Lifting straps are mainly used to pull days. This includes any back workouts and deadlifting. They can be used for other exercises as well. You basically can use them whenever your hands are involved, even barbell curling.
What to look for when buying Lifting Straps
Since everyone's lifting needs are different, the best lifting straps are really dependent on your training goals and what you find comfortable. The two main things you should consider when looking for lifting straps are: padding and material
- Some lifting straps have foam padding and some do not. This can be a personal choice and what you find more comfortable. Also, some padding can be thicker and longer than others. The padding helps prevent any burning on your wrists from when you are lifting, especially deadlifting.
- The lifting straps are typically nylon and cotton blended. This can lead to several variations of smoothness, thickness, and stiffness. The straps can also vary in length and width.
If you need added grip strength and want to be able to deadlift more, get some lifting straps.
You should always make sure to get the right pair that fits you and you feel comfortable wearing them during your heavy lifts. Also, pick a brand that’s known for quality. Be careful not to wrap too tightly when they are around the bar, as this can increase the risk of injury and prevent your wrists from being flexible. If you feel pain when lifting, stop using them immediately.